Steinbrücker Teich, Darmstadt
Der Steinbrücker Teich ( Steinbrücker Pond) is an artificial pond, approximately 3-hectare, and lies south of Jagdschloss Kranichstein. It is pretty popular amongst people in Darmstadt and neighboring areas.
Stein means stone, and Brücke means a bridge. This pond was named after a stone bridge on the Rustenbach. The waters of the Rustenbach ( bach means stream; Ruthsenbach is the name of the stream) feed this pond, which explains by this pond is so named.
This pond is believed to have been created under Landgrave Georg I in the 16th century with the primary objective of fishing. In the early 19th century, the pond had become completely swampy and started being used as a meadow. Then in the early 20th century, precisely in 1901, the Oberwaldhaus restaurant was built on the site. After that, the Steinbrücker pond was restored. Later, the meadow area by the pond was converted into a leisure and recreation center. Since then, it has become a popular destination and offers many experiences to its visitors. Today the Steinbrücker pond also serves as a rainwater retention basin.
Here are some of the experiences:
1. Steinbrücker Teich: The pond itself is lovely. During summers, vast families of ducks and geese are seen swimming in the pond or going about their way around the pond area. One can rent a boat by buying a ticket at the counter.
2. Mini Golf: Right next to the pond, there is a place for mini golf. In summer, this place becomes very active. Tickets for minigolf too can be purchased at the boat renting counter.
3. Children’s play area/pony riding: There is a Children’s play area with swings, slides, and more, with benches and open grounds making it an ideal place for a picnic with family and friends.
4. Walk/cycle in the forest: The area surrounding the pond is a forest. The key features are small streams of water and a thick cover of trees and bushes. One can enjoy the fresh air and the beautiful nature here.
5. Oberwaldhaus: This beautiful, old-style house at the edge is an old building more than a century old. It functions as a cafe, Biergarten, and restaurant. It also has few rooms available for lodging.
More details about it can be found here:
This place offers different experiences at different times of the year. One can enjoy the clear waters, loads of sunshine, and recreational water activities in summer. In winter, the pond freezes, and one can do ice skating and other winter activities. In autumn, when the trees start shedding their leaves, the place is covered with a blanket of orange and yellow, and in spring, it all comes to life again.