The recipe of ‘Aaloo-Matar’ (potatoes and peas) that I am posting today is a nice and simple home recipe. In restaurants, a richer version of this dish is usually served. This version is light yet very tasty. I will post the restaurant version in the coming days.
So, here are the ingredients (the recipe is for about four people).
Ingredients needed to make Aaloo Matar Sabzi:
- Potatoes: about four medium-sized ones, cut into dices
- Onion: 1 medium-sized, finely chopped
- Tomato: 1 medium-sized, finely chopped
- Peas: About 3/4 cup
- Green chilies: about 2, finely chopped
- Salt: About 1.5 tsp
- Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
- Mustard oil: 1 tbsp
- Turmeric Powder: 1/2 tsp
- Red chili powder ( Kashmiri): 1 tsp
- Coriander Powder: 1 tsp
- Garam Masala: 1/2 tsp
- Fresh Coriander for garnishing
- Water: About 2 cups
Method for Making Aaloo Matar Sabzi:
1. Start with heating oil in a pressure cooker. When the oil turns hot, add cumin seeds.
2. When the seeds start to crackle, add green chilies and onions and fry till the onions turn light brown.
3. Then add tomatoes, followed by all the spices and salt. Close the lid, lower the flame and cook the mix till the tomato becomes soft and the oil starts separating.
4. Then add the potatoes and peas and give them a mix.
5. Then add water. Close the pressure cooker and cook for about 10 minutes till the vegetables are soft.
6. Remove from heat. Mash some of the potato pieces with the back of the ladle so that the gravy becomes a little thick. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
This dish goes well with Rice as well as Roti.
As well as being a hearty dish, Aaloo Matar is relatively easy to make at home.
Check out other recipes from my kitchen here.
Leave a Reply