Recipe for Kheer/Payasam
Kheer, also known as Payasam, is an Indian Rice pudding in which rice and milk are slow-cooked till the milk thickens and the rice softens. In addition, spices and aromatics are added to give it its unique sweet smell and flavour.
Kheer is is a commonly made dessert in Indian homes. On special occasions like festivals or family celebrations such as parties and get-togethers, Kheer is one of the most preferred desserts. It is easy to make, requires very few ingredients and is delicious.
Let’s start with the recipe.
Ingredients needed to make Kheer:
- Basmati Rice: 1 cup, soaked for at least 1 hour
- Full-fat Milk: 1.5 litres
- Sugar: 2 1/2 cups
- Saffron Strands: 12-15
- Cardamom Powder: 1 teaspoon
- Nuts of your choice ( cashews, almonds, unsalted pistachios, raisins): 1/2 cup, chopped
- Ghee: 3 tablespoons
- Water: 1 cup
Method to make Kheer:
- Transfer the soaked rice with 1 cup of water to a thick-bottomed cooking pot.
- Add milk. Mix and bring it to a boil on high heat.
- When it comes to a boil, reduce the heat to medium. Add saffron strands. Let it cook, stirring it from time to time.
- Add sugar, followed by cardamom powder, when the rice is completely cooked. Mix.
- Separately fry the nuts in Ghee. I used only cashews. If you wish to add raisins, fry the nuts separately on low to medium heat. Add to the Kheer.
- Garnish the Kheer with thinly chopped almonds. If you wish, you can garnish it with pistachios too.
Some additional notes:
- The same recipe can be followed to make Kheer out of Semiya ( vermicelli).
- Always add sugar after the rice is fully cooked. If you add it before, it will slow down the cooking.
- Use full-fat milk for this recipe. If you use low-fat milk, you additionally add condensed milk.
- Always use a thick-bottomed pot to make Kheer. Otherwise, it can stick to the bottom and burn, spoiling the taste.
- Never leave Kheer unattended. It should be stirred and mixed from time to time.
- Commonly used nuts in Kheer are cashews, almonds, and pistachios. Raisins can be added too. Fry and add cashews and raisins. Almonds and pistachios can be finely chopped and added. Always fry nuts and dry fruits on low heat. Kheer can be garnished with dry rose petals too.
Check out other recipes from my kitchen here.
Leave a Reply