Recipe for Rawa Idli with Onion-Capsicum-Tomato Chutney
Recently I shared with my readers the recipe for Idli and Sambar, in which I made Idli with Rice Rawa (coarsely ground rice). Today, the recipe I am sharing is Rawa Idli. In this recipe, I have used Upma Rawa ( Semolina) to make Idli. This is a quick and easy recipe and does not require grinding and overnight fermenting. Also, today, I am sharing a quick and easy chutney made with onions, capsicum and tomatoes that goes well with these soft and flavourful Idlis.
I shall break the recipe into two parts
PART 1: Preparing Rawa Idli
PART 2: Preparing Chutney
PART 1: Preparing Rawa Idli
Ingredients needed to make Rawa Idli:
- Ghee: 2 tablespoons
- Urad Dal ( Split black gram): 1 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds: 1 teaspoon
- Red Chilli flakes: 1 teaspoon
- Curry leaves: 7-8
- Cashews: Broken, 7-8
- Semolina: 1 1/2 Cups
- Yoghurt ( Minimum 3.5% Fat): 200 gm
- Water: 200 ml ( more, if needed to adjust the consistency)
- Salt: 1 teaspoon, or according to taste
- Baking Soda: 1/2 teaspoon
Method to make Rawa Idli:
- Heat ghee in a pan. Fry black gram and cumin seeds on medium heat.
- Now add chilli flakes, curry leaves and cashews and fry on medium heat till the cashews brown a little.
- Now add semolina. On medium heat, roast the semolina for about 5 minutes.
- Then transfer the mixture into a mixing bowl and let it cool completely.
- Once the mixture is cooled, add yoghurt, salt and water and mix well. You should get a homogeneous batter.
- Add baking soda.
- Now grease the Idli plates with oil or ghee. Pour the batter onto the idli plates. Bring the water in the idli steamer to a boil. Then place the idli plates inside the steamer.
- Close the lid and steam the idlis for about 15 minutes on high heat. Once the idlis are done, turn off the heat, take out the trays and let them rest on the kitchen counter for about 2 minutes. Sprinkle water on the trays, and remove the idlis with the help of a spoon.
PART 2: Preparing the Onion-Capsicum-Tomato Chutney
Ingredients needed to make Onion-Capsicum-Tomato Chutney :
- Oil: 2 tablespoons
- Split Black gram: 1 teaspoon
- Fenugreek seeds: 1/2 teaspoon
- Cumin Seeds: 1 teaspoon
- Dry Red Chilies: 6-8
- Onions: 2 medium-sized, roughly chopped
- Tomato: 1 medium-sized, roughly chopped
- Red/orange Capsicum: 1 medium-sized, roughly chopped
- Salt: 1 teaspoon
- Grated coconut: 3 tablespoons
Ingredients needed for the tadka ( tempering):
- Oil: 1 teaspoon
- Chana dal ( split chickpeas): 1/2 teaspoon
- Urad dal ( split black gram): 1/2 teaspoon
- Dry Red Chillies: 2-3
- Curry leaves: 5-6
- Asafoetida: 1/4 teaspoon
Method to make Onion-Capsicum-Tomato Chutney :
- Heat oil in a pan. Add black gram, fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds and dry red chillies and fry them on medium heat.
- Then add onions and fry till they are translucent.
- Then add capsicum and tomatoes and fry till they become soft.
- Add salt. Turn off the heat and let this mixture cool completely.
- In a mixer, grind this mixture with coconut.
- For the tempering, heat the oil in a pan. Add all the ingredients for the tempering and fry them on medium heat till the lentils change their colour to light brown.
- Add this tempering to the chutney.
Both idli and chutney are ready. Serve hot.
Check out other recipes from my kitchen here.