Recipe for Masur Chana Dal
Today, the recipe I am sharing is a very simple lentil recipe. This is prepared by combining lentils – Masur Dal (Red Lentils) and Chana Dal (Split Chickpea lentils). The combination tastes great and goes well with rice and a simple salad made by combining salad vegetables with salt and lemon juice.
Lentils are a great source of protein for vegans and vegetarians, and the good news is that lentils come in many varieties. So, even if you cook one type of lentil every day, it would easily be a week or to ten days before you repeat it. Check out my other recipes like Dal Chawal ( made with pigeon peas), Sambar ( made with pigeon peas), Lauki Chana dal ( made with split chickpea lentils),
Let us start with the recipe for Masur Chana Dal:
Ingredients needed to make Masur Chana Dal:
- Masur Dal (Red Lentils with skin): 1/2 cup
- Chana Dal(Split Chickpea Lentils): 1/2 cup
- Water: For soaking, cooking and later adjusting the consistency
- Ghee: 1 tablespoon
- Bay leaf: 1
- Cumin Seeds: 1 teaspoon
- Finely chopped garlic and ginger: 2 tablespoons
- Green Chilies: 2, slit
- Onion: 1, finely chopped
- Tomato: 1, finely chopped
- Salt: 2 teaspoons
- Turmeric Powder: 1 teaspoon
- Kashmiri Red Chili Powder: 1 teaspoon
- Coriander Powder: 1 tablespoon
- Garam Masala: 1/2 teaspoon
- Kasuri Methi ( Dry Fenugreek Leaves): 1 tablespoon
- Fresh Coriander Leaves: Chopped, 2 tablespoons
- Ghee: 1 teaspoon
- Cumin Seeds: 1 teaspoon
- Dry Red Chilies: 2-3
- Asafoetida: 1/4 teaspoon
- Kashmiri Red Chili Powder: 1/2 teaspoon
- Fresh Coriander leaves: Chopped, 1 teaspoon
Method to make Masur Chana Dal:
- Wash the lentils and soak them for at least 30 minutes in 2 cups of water.
- Then, cook the lentils in a pressure cooker till they are soft.
- In a pan, heat the ghee. Add cumin seeds.
- When the cumin seeds crackle, add bay leaves, chopped ginger and garlic. Fry till they are golden brown.
- Add green chillies and chopped onions and fry till the onions are light brown.
- Add chopped tomatoes.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder and salt. Close the lid, reduce the heat and cook till the tomatoes become soft.
- Now add the cooked lentils. Taste and adjust the salt and add water to adjust the consistency. Add fresh coriander leaves, Kasuri Methi ( dry fenugreek leaves) and garam masala.
- For the tempering, heat ghee in a separate pan. Add all the tempering ingredients.
- Add to the cooked lentils. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
Serve with steamed rice.
Check out other recipes from my kitchen here.
If you would like to keep yourself updated with my latest posts, please subscribe to my newsletter.
Follow me on: