Recipe for Brussels Sprouts Dal
In India, dal ( lentils) is cooked in many ways. When cooked for testing with rice, sometimes they are cooked plain, and sometimes they are combined with vegetables and spices. In Germany, where I live, access to some of the vegetables that traditionally pair well with lentils is sometimes not easy, in which case, I try out Indian recipes with locally available ingredients.
One such ingredient is Brussel Sprouts. Come winter; the supermarket shelves get loaded with winter vegetables- Brussels sprouts being one of them. One of these days, while shopping in a nearby supermarket, I decided to buy them and try a couple of recipes.
The first recipe I tried with these was Brussels Sprouts Dal. Here goes the recipe:
Ingredients needed for Brussels Sprouts Dal:
- Split Green Gram with skin: 1/2 cup
- Brussel Sprouts: Washed and chopped, about 8
- Water: 2-3 cups
- Turmeric Powder: 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt: 1 1/2 teaspoons
- Fresh Coriander leaves: finely chopped, for garnishing
Ingredients for spice mix:
- Coconut: 1/8 of a big coconut ( 2 tablespoons of grated coconut)
- Red Chillies: 2-3
- Cumin Seeds: 1 tablespoon
- Water: 1/2 cup
Ingredients for tempering:
- Ghee: 1 tablespoon
- Curry leaves: 6-7
- Dry Red Chilies: 2
- Asafoetida: 1/4 teaspoon
- Cumin Seeds: 1 teaspoon
Method for making Brussel Sprouts Dal:
- Wash the lentils. Chop the Brussels sprouts. Combine the two. Add water and cook in a pressure cooker till the lentils become soft.
- Make a spice paste by combining coconut, cumin seeds and red chillies and water.
- When the lentils are cooked, add turmeric powder and salt.
- Add the spice paste and mix. Boil it for 2-3 minutes and take it off the heat.
- Prepare a tempering by heating oil and adding all the tempering ingredients to it. Add this tempering to the cooked lentils.
- Garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves and serve with rice.
I sometimes like eating dal and rice with egg, which I did when I made Brussels Sprouts Dal.
Check out other recipes from my kitchen here.
Follow me on:
Leave a Reply