Recipe for Apple Pie
Apple pie is a pastry dessert from England. In this recipe, a short-crust pastry is made. It is stuffed with apples mixed with certain spices and baked. It is delicious and rich. The process is a bit time-consuming so reserve this recipe for a special day or a potluck.
I have broken the recipe into three parts:
PART 1: Preparing the crust for apple pie
PART 2: Making the apple stuffing
PART 3: Stuffing and baking
PART 1: Preparing the crust/shell for Apple Pie
Ingredients needed to make the crust of Apple Pie:
- All-purpose Flour: 1 kg
- Salt: 4 gms
- Sugar Powder: 300 gms
- Milk Powder: 20 gms
- Cold Water: to mix
- Cold Butter: 500 gms ( If the butter is at room temperature, you could keep it in the freezer for some time and then take it out)
Method to make the crust for Apple Pie:
It is best to work on the kitchen slab to make the crust.
- Sieve flour, salt, and sugar. Then put it on the kitchen slab.
- Add butter. Cut the butter into tiny pieces and mix with the flour. Rub the mixture between both your hands till the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
- Add chilled water and form a medium dough. Do not overwork the dough. It should be just brought together.
- Then leave the dough to rest in the fridge for about 30 mins. This is how my dough looked after resting.
- Then roll the dough to ¼ inch thickness. Take a pie mold, grease it with melted butter, and put the rolled dough on it. Make sure it is pressed from all sides and sits properly on the mold. Then fork it to make sure that it doesn’t rise.
- Then Preheat the oven to 130-140 deg C. Take butter paper and put some beans ( basically something heavy so that the shell doesn’t rise on baking), and keep on the pie mold above the rolled dough. Then bake for about 25 minutes.
- Allow it to cool and move into making the stuffing.
PART 2: Preparing the stuffing for Apple Pie
Ingredients needed for the stuffing for Apple Pie :
- Sugar: 160 gm
- Cinnamon Powder: 2 teaspoons
- Raisins: 200 gm
- Cake Crumb: 100 gm ( readymade cake sponge will do)
- Cornflour: 20 gm
- Apples: 2, big sized
- Cashewnuts: 50 gm
Method to prepare the stuffing:
Mix all the ingredients of the stuffing.
PART 3: Stuffing and Baking the apple pie.
- Put the stuffing into your already prepared pie shell.
- Roll some more dough to cover this pie. Then cover the pie with the rolled dough.
- Try some designs if you like.
- Brush with beaten egg to get the shine. Egg coating will give a nice shiny look to the pie when baked. Make sure that you make small slits to allow air to pass through.
- Bake at 140 deg C for another 30 minutes. If after 30 minutes, the pie doesn’t look dark, you can increase the temperature to 160 deg C and bake for another 10 minutes.
Apple Pie is ready. Cut slices and serve.
Check out other recipes from my kitchen here
Leave a Reply