Recipe for Vegetarian Baguette Sandwich
Today, the recipe I am sharing is very easy and quick. It is inspired by our frequent visits to the Boulangeries ( Bakeries) in Paris during our holiday in Paris in the year 2021. In Paris, it is common to see bakeries on almost every street. If you visit these bakeries in the morning, you will get the freshest croissants, baguettes and a whole range of desserts. It is common to see people line up at bakeries to buy baguettes, which they take home for breakfast.
Since we were in Paris on holiday, we visited these bakeries daily for breakfast. Out of all the delicious things in these bakeries, one thing that stood out for me was the Baguette Sandwich. These sandwiches were made fresh every morning with different stuffings and were absolutely delicious.
My today’s recipe is inspired by these baguette sandwiches from Paris. Since it is made in my kitchen, it has a bit of Indian touch 🙂
I have made them using baguettes that we commonly get in German Supermarkets. These baguettes come with the label ‘Zum fertig backen‘, which means that they need to be baked for about 10-12 minutes before being consumed. Although we get readymade baguettes also easily in German Supermarkets, I preferred these as I wanted to stuff them and bake them together so that the cheese in the stuffing melted and bound the stuffing ingredients.
So, let’s start with the recipe.
Ingredients needed for Vegetarian Baguette Sandwiches ( to take eight sandwiches, each with a 75gm baguette):
- Oil: 1 tablespoon
- Garlic: Finely chopped, 1 tablespoon
- Onion: 1 medium-sized, cut into strips
- Capsicum: 1 large, cut into thin strips
- Green Chillies: finely chopped, 2-3
- Tomato: 1, medium-sized, deseeded and cut into strips
- Canned Olives: 8-10
- Sun-dried Tomatoes: 4-5, cut into thin strips
- Salt: To taste
- Black Pepper Powder: 1/2 teaspoon
- Dry rosemary: 1 teaspoon
- Any cheese of your choice ( I used gouda): About 60 gm
- Fresh cheese ( called Frischkäse in German): 2 tablespoons
- Fresh Coriander: finely chopped, 2 tablespoons
- Readymade Pesto: to spread inside the baguette.
- Baguettes: 8, 75gm each
Method to make vegetarian baguette sandwich:
- Heat oil in a pan. On high heat, fry garlic, onions, green chillies and capsicum for about 1 minute. Remove from heat and let it cool.
- Add fresh and sun-dried tomatoes, olives, salt, pepper, rosemary, and coriander leaves. Mix everything.
- Then add both the cheeses. Mix everything.
- Cut the baguette from the middle along its length. Apply pesto on the inside surface.
- Then spoon in the stuffing equally between the eight baguettes.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, or as per the instruction on the packaging.
Vegetarian Baguette sandwiches are ready!
This recipe works great for packing and carrying in a school tiffin box or for a picnic. Once the sandwiches cool, you can cling-wrap them if you wish to carry them.
If you are looking for lunchbox recipes, do check out the recipe for Paneer Pockets that I made recently. They are easy to carry in a lunch box/picnic bag and taste amazing evening when cold.
Check out other recipes from my kitchen here.