Recipe for Lemon Shavige/Lemon Sevai
Today, the recipe I am sharing is one of my favourites. It is called Lemon Shavige or Lemon Sevai. It is easy to make and is absolutely delicious. As the name says, it is lemony and is, therefore, great for people who like tangy food.
It is a popular breakfast recipe from the south of India and is commonly made in most south Indian homes. It is also easily available in restaurants during breakfast time.
In this recipe, instant Rice Sevai ( Instant dry noodles made from rice, also called rice vermicelli) is used. Therefore the preparation time is less than 15 minutes.
Check out this picture. It will help you buy the right product.
It is an ideal breakfast when you have less time but still want something simple and home cooked.
So, let’s start with the recipe:
Ingredients needed for Lemon Shavige /Lemon Sevai:
- Instant Rice Sevai: 350 gm
- Groundnut or Sesame oil: 2 tablespoons
- Peanuts and cashews: a handful
- Green Chilies: 2-3, finely chopped
- Chana Dal ( split chickpeas): 1 teaspoon
- Urad Dal ( split black gram): 1 teaspoon
- Cumin Seeds: 1 teaspoon
- Asafoetida: 1/4 teaspoon
- Curry leaves: 8-10
- Dry Red Chilies: 2-3
- Ginger: Finely chopped, 1 tablespoon
- Fresh Coriander leaves: finely chopped, 2 tablespoons
- Grated Coconut: 2 tablespoons
- Salt: 2 teaspoons, or as per taste
- Turmeric Powder: 3/4 teaspoon
- Lemon Juice: From 2 lemons
- Water: To soak the vermicelli
Method to make Lemon Shavige /Lemon Sevai:
- Boil water in a pot. Take it off the heat. Then soak the instant rice vermicelli in it for about 3-5 minutes, or as per the instructions in the packing. Cover with a lid.
This is how dry vermicelli looks.
This is vermicelli soaked in hot water.
This is vermicelli after 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, strain the vermicelli.
- In a pan, heat oil. Fry the peanuts and cashews. Take them out and keep them aside.
- In the same pan with the leftover oil, fry chana dal ( split chickpeas), urad dal ( split black gram) and cumin seeds.
- Add asafoetida, followed by dry red chillies and curry leaves.
- Then add ginger and green chillies. Fry everything.
- Add turmeric and fry for about 15 seconds on medium heat.
- Add the strained vermicelli. Mix everything.
- Add salt, grated coconut and fresh coriander leaves and lemon juice. Mix well.
- Lemon Shavige/Lemon Sevai is ready. Serve hot. You can serve it as is or pair it with coconut chutney OR yoghurt and pickle.
Check out other recipes from my kitchen here.
Leave a Reply