Recipe for Aalu Gobi Sabzi
Aalu Gobi Sabzi is an Indian vegetable dish made by cooking Aalu ( potatoes) and Gobi ( Cauliflower) with spices. It is usually paired with rotis, paranthas or with dal and rice. Potatoes and cauliflower are a match made in heaven, and every north Indian would vouch for that :). This combination is very popular in the northern parts of India, and people relish and eat this sabzi.
Let’s start with the recipe.
Ingredients needed for Aalu Gobi Sabzi:
- Cauliflower: 1 small-sized, cut into medium-sized florets
- Potatoes: 3-4, peeled and cut longitudinally
- Oil: 4 tablespoons
- Cumin Seeds: 1 teaspoon
- Onion: 1 medium-sized, chopped
- Ginger and garlic paste: 1 tablespoon
- Tomato: 1 medium-sized, chopped
- Salt: 2 teaspoons
- Turmeric Powder: 3/4 teaspoon
- Coriander Powder: 1 tablespoon
- Kashmiri Red Chili Powder: 2 teaspoons
- Garam Masala: 3/4 teaspoon
- Fresh Coriander Leaves: For garnishing
- Water: to soak the vegetables
Method to make Aalu Gobi Sabzi:
- Heat water in a pot with 1/2 teaspoon of salt. When the water comes to a boil, take it off the heat. Add the cauliflower florets and cut potatoes and let them soak in water for about 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, strain the water and let the vegetables stay on the sieve.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- Add ginger garlic paste and onions and fry till the onions brown a bit.
- Add tomatoes, followed by all the spices- turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder, garam masala and salt.
- Reduce the heat, put a lid and cook till the tomato becomes soft.
- Add cauliflower and potatoes. Mix everything. Cover with a lid. On medium heat, cook till the vegetables turn tender, occasionally mixing and turning with a spatula.
- Take off the heat and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.