Recipe for Cucumber Raita
Raita is a popular Indian side dish in which yoghurt is combined with vegetables or fruits or fried gram flour balls ( called Boondi). There are many Raita recipes, and these go well with Pulav ( a fragrant rice dish), Biryanis ( check out my Chicken Biryani and Mushroom Biryani Recipes) or with Paranthas ( check out my Gobi Parantha recipe).
Today, the recipe I am sharing is Cucumber Raita. It is a quick and easy recipe in which vegetables and raita are combined with some mild spices.
So, let’s start.
Ingredients needed for Cucumber Raita:
- Cucumber: 1 grated
- Green Chillies: 2-3, finely chopped
- Fresh Coriander leaves: finely chopped, 2 tablespoons
- Fresh Mint leaves: finely chopped, 1 tablespoon
- Yoghurt: 500 gm
- Salt: 3/4 teaspoon
- Cumin powder: 1/2 teaspoon
- Kashmiri Red Chili Powder: 1/4 teaspoon
Method for making Cucumber Raita:
- Beat the yoghurt.
- Add cucumber, green chillies, coriander and mint leaves.
- Mix and add salt, cumin powder and red chilli powder.
Cucumber raita is ready!
Some additional notes:
- For my readers in Germany: I have used yoghurt with 3.5% Fat in this recipe. It tastes the best.
- Skip green chillies if you have less tolerance to heat.
- Cumin powder is easily available in Germany. You can use it for this recipe. However, the taste of Raita gets greatly enhanced if you toast some cumin seeds in a pan at low to medium heat and crush them with mortar and pestle and then add that to the Raita.
Check out other recipes from my kitchen here.