Darmstadt Space Days
We recently attended an interesting event called ‘Darmstadt Space Days.’ Darmstadt Space Days is an event for all science fiction lovers and space fans. This year, in 2022, it took place on the 1st and 2nd of October in Darmstadt, Germany.
Before I get into the details of this event, let me take my readers through its history and journey from being an idea to becoming a reality.
The History of Darmstadt Space Days
It all started about 20 years ago as an idea conceived by a few space and model building enthusiasts that an event or exhibition could be held to showcase their work and interact with like-minded people. With this thought, a small event was conducted, and about 100 people attended it. For 12 years, this privately owned group continued to manage and organize the event. Then in 2013, formal registration of the club ( called eV –eingetragener Verein in German) by the name Darmstadt SpaceDays eV was done. Since then, the club has been conducting this event with the Science Fiction Treff Darmstadt (another club for science fiction and fantasy lovers).
What can one expect in the ‘Darmstadt Space Days’ event?
Here are the top 5 experiences at Darmstadt Space Days:
- Explore the models on display: Various models inspired by science fiction series like Star wars and Star Trek are displayed. If you like constructing models, are fascinated by futurism and are a space fan, you will find the models exciting.
- Spend a day with your favourite Space characters: You will find your favourite characters as companions as you explore the models and interact with other enthusiasts. A day with space heroes and a picture to take home can be a wonderful experience for a fan.
- Buy action figures, t-shirts, and other merchandise: There are theme-based stalls put up by vendors, which allow visitors to buy their choice of merchandise all under one roof. Since these are not easily available outside, it is an excellent chance to grab your favourite collectables.
- Chance to join explore and join a club: Various clubs working in similar fields also put up stalls at the event, giving an excellent opportunity to interact with them, understand their work, and possibly even join them if interested.
- Attend talks and presentations: Speakers from prominent organizations hold talks on different topics. The schedule is available at the event, and visitors can attend any presentation.
Every year, the event is held in different locations in Darmstadt. This year, the event took place in Darmstadtium, a large and modern facility that hosts many big events in Darmstadt.
If you are a space and science fiction enthusiast, here is what you can do:
- Attend the event: You can check out their website https://2020.spacedays.de/ or their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/SpaceDays/ to keep yourself updated about the event.
- Join the club: If you want to participate actively, you can join and participate in the community. Information about club membership is available here:https://2020.spacedays.de/?page_id=390
Darmstadt Space Days is an event for people of all ages interested in model building, science fiction, and space. It takes place once a year and is open to all.
Check out my gallery page to see more pictures from the event.
Check out the information on other events that take place in Darmstadt here.
If you liked this content and would like to keep yourself informed about other such events, please subscribe.
Follow me on: