Today, I am writing about an interesting event for children in Darmstadt. It is called Kinderflohmarkt. Kinder means children, and Flohmarkt means Flea Market. Kinder- und Jugendförderung, Jugendamt (i.e., the Youth Office of Darmstadt) organizes this event a couple of times every summer. It offers a unique opportunity for children between 6-14 years of age to sell their used stuff, such as toys, books, clothes, etc.
After attending and participating in this event on the weekend, I decided to write about it. This article would be particularly interesting for parents whose children fall in the age group mentioned above. Through this event, children will get the opportunity to:
- Sell their used stuff and clear some space at home.
- Appreciate the idea of recycling and reuse and how it can help the environment.
- Teaches them skills of interacting and interfacing with people.
- Gives them a wonderful experience of earning money, and in the process, they learn to appreciate the hard work that goes into it.
So, here are some tips from my side before you send your children to the flea market:
- Plan a few days ahead about everything you want to sell. Discuss with your child the prices for each item and put a price label on each item to avoid confusion. Pack them neatly.
- If you plan to sell used clothes and shoes, ensure they are thoroughly cleaned and fit for use by someone.
- Keep some scope for negotiation. After all, it is a flea market and negotiation is expected.
- Make sure to carry a mat ( on which you/your kid/s can sit and spread your wares). No tables/chairs/covered space is provided. Everyone has to get their mat. The mats are typically spread on concrete floors. Something like this, works well.
- If it is a hot sunny day, it would be a good idea to get an umbrella or a small tent that you can sit in while you wait for the customers. Something like this should work. If you don’t have any of these, get sun hats.
- Carry enough water and snacks, because sitting outside for half a day can make you thirsty and hungry.
Here is some more information:
- The Flea Market typically takes place on a Sunday in the city centre. When I attended it, it was in Friedenplatz.
- Typically, the timings are 10 am to 2 pm.
- Registrations take place on the spot, and there is no fee.
However, for exact dates, timings and venue, it is best to check the link: https://www.darmstadt.de/veranstaltungskalender. This will give you a list of all the events planned in the city.
Watch this space for more updates about events in Darmstadt.
To learn about places to see in and around Darmstadt, click here.
Subscribe to my newsletter and follow me on social media.
Follow me on: